Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind might not be the type of book Draper’s readers have come to expect from her. Though she has written a number of books for younger readers (Ziggy and the Dinosaurs Series and the Sassy Books), it is probably her books for teens (e.g., Tears of a Tiger and The Battle of Jericho) that have garnered the most praise from youth.


I am bias. I seem to like all of her books. This one took me a while to get into even after I read the author’s note that explains that the main character has cerebral palsy. I had trouble connecting with eleven-year-old Melody Brooks at first. Once I understood more about her birth, I wanted to hear more. Melody cannot walk or talk, but she is bright and has a good sense of humor. Readers will get upset when Melody is mistreated by others and they will cheer when she is scrappy.

Out of My Mind will be published by March.