Z is tired of Malcolm Gladwell


Conversation 1 (In the hallway outside Z’s room)

Z: Mom, I’m so good people are writing me about their basketball camps. (He hands her the latest piece of mail telling him that if his parents pay $500, he, too, will play like Jordan.)
K: You should attend camps. Malcolm Gladwell says the research says you have to spend 10,000 hours to get good at something.
Z: Malcolm who?
K: The guy in the car.*
Z just shakes his head.

* Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell


Conversation 2 (On the way to the gym)

K: Malcolm Gladwell says we should trust our instincts.* I’ve always told you that. Teacher asks a question on a test, trust your gut. You know the answer. Study long, study wrong. That’s what my uncle used to say.
Z: Mom!
K: We would be playing checkers. I’d take forever to move and when I did, he’d jump my men and shout, “King me!”
Study long, study wrong.
Z: Mom!
K chuckles. Z hates it when K gets this way. It's as bad as when she gets on her "Z, you don't understand what it means to be poor soapbox."

*Blink Malcolm Gladwell

 
 
Conversation 3 (Driving into the garage)

Z: His [Malcolm Gladwell] voice is so annoying.
K: That’s only because we’ve listened to 3 books in a row.*
Z: They all sound the same.

*Z has only heard some of each book to and from school, at which time he napped.
In case you’re wondering, the 3rd book is What the Dog Saw. (After hearing the CD, K talked incessantly about a dog whisperer she'd never heard of before, but Z was not amused.)