Potluck Writing at the SI on July 16

We’ve always had potlucks at the Summer Institute, but we’ve never written pieces about our food before. Sharing writing at the potluck was fun. We cried and laughed as we listened to each other’s pieces. I wanted to write something simple like the PB&J sandwiches I had decided to bring.


Here’s what I wrote while sitting under the hairdryer:


Lately, I’ve been thinking about all of the wonderful things my grandmother left behind:
Grapevines;
Rose bushes;
Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners;
Churning ice cream;
Making jelly; and
Me.

I finally narrowed it down to this, but I shared both the hairdryer piece and this haiku at the potluck.

Though a simple snack,
peanut butter and jelly
brought back grandma’s love.

I wanted to write a haiku because I had just finished reading Sorta Like a Rockstar by Matthew Quick and it has lots of haikus in it.