Monster by Walter Dean Myers

Either I can’t read or I was in denial. For years Monster has been on an optional reading list for students in one of my classes. Every time a student asked me what it was about I beamed at the opportunity to talk about what some say is one of Walter Dean Myers' best books, partly because it’s written like a screenplay. I’d tell whomever would listen that the book was about Steve Harmon, a young guy who is arrested for being the lookout during an armed robbery that includes murder. I always make it a point to say Steve’s involvement is ambiguous. After reading the book again, it seems clear to me that Myers gives numerous clues that point to Steve’s guilt. But I’m still not sure if I just needed to believe Steve was innocent or if I was just too blind to see the obvious.

Please let me know your thoughts in the comments section below.