Why We Get Fat

I picked up this book after I read Taubes’s article in *Reader’s Digest about the same topic since my doctor mentioned it when I took Z in to see him a few weeks ago. Here’s what I am stuck on:


1. I can’t exercise my way to skinniness. Taubes calls it the “elusive benefits of exercise”.

2. Maybe I need to reduce some of the carbs that I am madly in love with.

3. No one can convince me that vegetables and fruits should be reduced and possibly replaced with meat.

4. Carbs are hidden and I need to look for them.

5. Heredity is a factor in how fat I get, but I can do something to fight it.

After I finished reading this book, I decided I have been eating too may carbs and I do want to limit them. I’ve been doing it for two weeks, but it has been hard because I love the mobility a sandwich allows.

Have I lost any weight?

I don’t know.

I’m afraid of scales.



*A condensed version of the article is available on the RD site, but I suggest reading the book so you don’t jump to erroneous conclusions and say good-bye to exercise and all carbs.