Tales from Summer School--Worksheets

Z decided to take biology in summer school. Since science doesn’t seem to be his thing, he thought making it his sole focus this summer was smart. The problem is, Z HATES going to summer school. The whole idea of getting up early and reading and writing is wearing on him.


from Google
He tells me these funny stories like this one:

Z: Mom, I told TJ I was taking biology in summer school so I can take journalism during the year, and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said I should take CPR instead for an easy "A."

Or this one about worksheets:

Z: I like the worksheet teaching method.

K: Death by worksheet.

Z: Yeah. I like it. Just give me a worksheet, one after the other, and I'll do it. It's easy.

K: Are you learning anything?

Z: I think so, but the worksheet method wouldn't work in math. I'd get buried. The teacher lectures from about 9 slides and then she gives a worksheet. I was zipping through them today. (K looks incredulous.)

Seriously, Mom. I returned from break 5 minutes early to complete a sheet and to get ready for the others.

K: During break what do you talk to *Keith about? Science? Catholic High?

Z: No, we talk about how much we don't want to be [in summer school]. Every day one kid asks if he can have his money back.

This summer I think Z and I have both learned a lesson about how hard work really is.







*Keith is a pseudonym.