Best thing I read this week?



What is your brain doing while you're enjoying a book or reading in preparation for a literary analysis assignment? Well, I don't really know.

The piece that grabbed my attention this week offers some answers. It is about what the brain might be doing when we read for pleasure versus when we take a formalistic approach to reading. The subjects were doctoral candidates who read Jane Austen's Mansfield Park
while fMRI (functional magnetic resonance images) take note.

While I've read pieces about how literary analysis is good for the brain, taps critical thinking, and such, this piece introduced me to the field of literary neuroscience.


Want to read it?
The piece is titled "This is your brain on Jane Austen, and Stanford researchers are taking notes."

Curious about other things I've read?