Whew! What have I been reading?


I have come to believe over and over again that what is most important to me must be spoken, made verbal and shared, even at the risk of having it bruised or misunderstood. —Audre Lorde

 

 
 
Cited in
 
''For Our Words Usually Land on Deaf Ears Until We Scream'': Writing as a Liberatory Practice by Shantel Martinez, 2014, Qualitative Inquiry, 20.3,3-14



About the Article

I recommend this article to anyone who might need/want a story about how we teach writing/literacy matters. Martinez responds to (and conjures up) several questions I have thought about (or someone nudged me to consider) over the last academic year as I struggled to write, teach, and learn:

What is valid and true in the writing process?

What/which writing rules really matter?

Can critical thinking exist within the way we teach writing right now?

Is writing linear or recursive?

Wait a minute! Which texts are mentor texts?




Obviously, the article challenged my thinking, but it also validated some of my own frustrations with what gets valued as scholarship in academia.