First Basketball Game

Today Z had his first basketball game. I was nervous. I was afraid he wouldn’t have any playing time because he’s the only 7th grader on the team and he’s still adjusting. He could have gone on JV where he’d get more playing time, but he decided he wanted to play for the varsity team even if it meant he’d be on the bench. After the game, I asked him if he regretted his decision and he said no emphatically.




 
He was aggressive from the start and I could see he’d matured some since last season. He is now 5’9 and feeling confident about his playing skills. Maybe my photography skills will improve by the end of the season.

He only scored 2 points and 7 rebounds, but he said he was happy and had lots of fun. He’s learning that the practices and games coupled with school work are a huge commitment. He has a game on Saturday morning and he has to be there by 8:15am. He said, “Mom, I’m not going to be able to stay up late on Friday night.”