The 1950s


A few weeks ago, Z came home and announced that the class is reading my favorite book, To Kill a Mockingbird (TKAM).


K: We saw the play a few years ago and you loved it.

Z: I wouldn’t say I loved it.

K: You said you liked it. Every time we get ready to go to a play you complain but end up enjoying it. Remember of Mice and Men?

Z: Yeah. The plays are all right. It’s the snacks during intermission that I love.

K looks at Z like he’s an alien.

Z: Mom, I have to do this thing for homework. It asks for my opinions about stuff.

K: An anticipation guide?

Z: How’d you know that, Mom?

K: It’s one of the strategies I’ve taught in my courses.

Z opens his notebook.


Z: I don’t know what southern women are like.

K: Both of your grandmothers are southern women.

Z: Oh, yeah. I don’t know about the 1950s.

K: Have you ever seen Happy Days?

Z: No.

K: Remember when we went to drive-in movies in Ohio?

Z: Yeah.

K: That’s what I think of when I think of the 1950s.

K reminds Z of what she thought when her students used to tell her they wish things were like they were during the 1950s. They have a discussion about how blacks were discriminated against during the 1950s.