The Chesapeake Reading Council’s Literacy Jam

The Chesapeake Reading Council’s “Catch the Wave to Literacy” Literacy Jam was held tonight. The president of the Chesapeake Reading Council, Cathy Collier, invited me to speak to the young writers (grades 6-12). Speaking in public is not one of my strengths yet, but it will be. I want to speak at events like this more often so I can encourage young writers. Before the program began, I read some of the pieces on display and got a chance to talk to a few of the writers. After I spoke about what I learned about writing from interviewing Sharon M. Draper, Jacqueline Woodson, and Angela Johnson, the top contest winners read excerpts from their poems, stories, and essays based on their views of literacy. I was blown away! Their pieces were heartfelt. They presented me with a copy of the Young Writers Literacy Book. I couldn’t wait to get home to put it on my bookshelf.