Things I never thought I’d hear Z say

1.”Mom, I think I should be a lawyer.” I reply, “Yes, that career would make use of your talents” (communications skills). Inside I was thinking hallelujah; I don’t care what career path he chooses; I was just happy he’d realized that being an NBA star might not be the best choice.

2. “Mom, I want to go to training sessions.” “What?” I asked.

Z is the type of kid who is so confident he thinks he’ll perform well if he simply shows up on the court. I’ve tried to tell him folks who play high school and college ball tend to work on their game, but usually he brushes me off.

3. “Mom, I have to study.” I look up, startled. “Uh, yeah,” I manage. I couldn’t think of anything else to say. He’s studying, even on the way to school, without being threatened.

Maybe the child is just growing up a little. Hey, I might look up one day and hear him say, “Mom, I don’t want to play X-box until I pass out anymore.”