Beneath a Meth Moon by Jacqueline Woodson


I didn’t really want to read Beneath a Meth Moon because of the topic, but when I finally opened it up, I couldn’t stop.

It was like watching Dr. Oz.

You know he’s going to show you this large, scary tumor that he says is causing the woman beside him to smell, but you look at it anyway, because you’re pulled to it, it’s luring; it’s alluring.

So when I read the title and the back cover, I thought, no, I want happy thoughts today. Here's what's so sad: Laurel’s mother and grandmother die during Hurricane Katrina, and it takes her family a while to try to deal with the grief and move on.


When you think they are on the road to recovery, Laurel is introduced to meth by her new boyfriend. The time shifts are jarring, unexpected just like the circumstances Laurel finds herself in.

Did this book make anyone else think of Go Ask Alice? I’ve got a feeling I’m not the only one who was reminded of that book.