Golden Lines ~~Sharon G. Flake

“'So often we think we know young men, especially African American
males. 'They don’t read,' we say.

'They misbehave,' we whisper.

'They drop out early and cause society a host of ills.'

Often, before they even show up to class or walk into a store, we think we know who they are and what they are capable of doing and becoming.

As an author, I get to say, 'Open your eyes and see what is often unseen by so many of us, regardless of our ethnicity.' When I open my eyes and see you for who you truly are, I see myself differently, and I allow you to see me more fully as well. It becomes a win–win for everyone, I think."


~~Sharon G. Flake qtd. in Najat Omer’s Interview with Sharon G. Flake, Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy v. 54 no. 2 (October 2010) p. 152-3