I've got a question about "Geraldine Moore Poet" by Toni Cade Bambara

Toni Cade Bambara
Do you know what blew me away this week?

"Geraldine Moore Poet" by Toni Cade Bambara

I don't know where to begin with this story.

Do I focus on how it speaks to me as a teacher who needs to really see each student?

Do I mention how Bambara's images, word choice, tone serve as a primer for me?

Do I share that the last scene yielded crocodile tears?

Do I point out the lines I savored? Like "I can't right no pretty poem" (p. 314). or

"Mrs Scott had said to write a poem, and Geraldine had meant to do it at lunchtime. After all, there was nothing to it-- a flower here, a raindrop there, moon, June, rose, nose. But the man carrying off the furniture had made her forget" (p. 313).


It's useless.

I don't have the words to write about this story.

Here's my question: How on earth could anyone answer the "Questions to Consider" at the end of this story in the anthology?


Sources: Image of Toni Cade Bambara is from Google.




Thanks, Joseph.